a wandering woman writes

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Vonnegut makes a career choice

Motto quotes this anecdote about Kurt Vonnegut, published as part of his obituary in Sports Illustrated:

In 1954, Vonnegut -- a talented young writer who confessed to knowing next to nothing about sports -- was hired to write for SI (Sports Illustrated), which had yet to begin publishing. One of his first assignments was to write a caption about a racehorse who had jumped the rail at Aqueduct and galloped across the infield. Vonnegut pondered the task, typed one sentence and then walked out of his office, never to return. His caption: "The horse jumped over the f---ing fence."

SI's loss was literature's gain. Cat's Cradle came out in 1963, and in '69 he published his most famous work, the semiautobiographical Slaughterhouse-Five.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Hi Erin,

    The impressive Slaughterhouse Five remains the only film I have ever seen where the whole audience clapped at the end.

    Its years ago now - perhaps we were more simple and idealistic in those days, for I can't imagine it happening today..

    Regards, Daniel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:06 AM  

  • Do you know I never saw the movie, Daniel? I bet it could happen today, though, I've been in theatres here in Salamanca where the audience has applauded at the end.
    Can't remember which movies, though, funny...

    By Blogger Erin, at 12:13 PM  

  • I loved the film Slaughterhouse Five. I will admit that I never read the book...

    I recall watching several films where the audience clapped at the end but I can't remember which ones they were... I guess I could say "I don't know"... :-0

    -Yarbz

    By Blogger Yarbz, at 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home