a wandering woman writes

Monday, October 08, 2007

Another day, another unexpected adventure

Another day, another unexpected adventure.

And at least 3 new songs to sing on the Camino.

When the 3 españolas -a pair from Menorca and their friend the Barcelonesa, the same three who taught me to lose at cards last night - asked if I'd like to join them on an excursion to the Monastery of San Millán de La Cogolla, 20 km from Azofra, I immediately signed on. I've stopped walking early today, after only 16 km, certain that my beautifully recovered ankle is not yet up to a 31 km day, which I'd be facing if I headed on to the next albergue.

We hired a taxi driver, who drove in from Nájera. His name is Antonio; his business card calls him "El Gran Antonio".

El Gran Antonio sings. We drove to the monastery in a luxury, super comfortable Peugot with a singing taxi driver named El Gran Antonio.

The monastery is closed Mondays, as it turns out, although we did manage to talk our way into visiting the older monastery tucked into the side of the mountain above, alongside the caves where God spoke to San Millán. That's a story for another day.

Today's tale closes with 2 menorquinas, a barcelonesa , a wandering American and a troubador taxi driver driving through the pueblos of Rioja with Manola Escobar blasting on the car stereo....only to returning through the same pueblos an hour or two later, singing "Vive España" at the top of their lungs...

Here, discover Manolo Escobar. (I just did.)

I'll search next session for the lyrics to my favorite of the trip's tunes....
but for now..

"Vive España
España es la mejor....." (that's the song, honest...)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • I see you are discovering the deep Spain, enjoy yourself! Well, more, I know you do it reading your funny adventures!
    See you soon brave!
    Nomadita

    By Blogger Africax, at 2:04 PM  

  • This certainly is turning out to be quite an adventure! I assume you are keeping a journal/notebook, even if the internet access is spotty. Or maybe you're just taking it all in. In any case, enjoy!

    By Blogger kate, at 7:57 AM  

  • Sounds like you are having a great time. I hope you are keeping a journal.

    By Blogger Cream, at 12:32 AM  

  • Each one better than the last. Ojala que sigues encontrandote en sitios con internet! (and ojala that my subjunctive is correct)

    Had to link to Manolo. Here are some great lyrics I'm sure you are experiencing:

    Por eso te digo,
    y a nadie le extraña,
    que no hay sol, cariño,
    como el sol de España.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:24 AM  

  • ¡Viva España!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:55 AM  

  • I love your spirit of adventure! Sounds like a wonderful day.

    By Blogger paris parfait, at 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home