a wandering woman writes

Monday, April 15, 2013

Once more, from the top

Eight years ago I wrote a blog post, titled "Getting Started". Then I hit the "publish" button and started a blog.

Eight years later - uncannily, eight years to the day, yesterday-- I found myself wandering a vaguely familiar text box, hoping to start a blog.

Again.

I've bounced in and out of this text box since leaving mi querida Salamanca to return to Chicago in 2008. In some ways, blogging has been a hard habit to kick. I've been here while not here, jotting blog ideas in the corners of to-do lists, sending myself links and articles that tickled my blogging instincts, treasures that in my Salamanca days would have been transformed into posts. I've filled my Gmail account with post drafts. A time or two I've actually posted.

The eight year gap between the two starting visits was unplanned but lends today a symmetry I can't resist.

So, welcome. Shall we try this once more, from the top?

Eight years ago, I closed my first post with this wish:
By blogging I plan to catch my travels and adventures in words for myself and for faraway friends, but hey, maybe I’ll pay it forward. Maybe I’ll make just one person question if it’s worth taking a crazy dream off the back burner, just to see what happens.

My crazy dream long ago turned into a life I love and dive into in a way I didn't dive as a wanderer. My journeys have turned inward, and my adventures to exploring what most of us call ordinary.

Today, I close with another wish, from this 2011 post:

The wanderer has settled in, and drilled down. Wanderer has turned root-thrower, student potter, neighbor, mentor, dogsitter, gardener, pianist, citizen, burgeoning ukulele player. Boss. 

I have traded the stuff I once thought blogs were made of - travel blogs, at least - for the stuff I believe life is made of. I warn you in advance. I am far better at traveling. If I always seemed incredulous when commenters called me courageous for moving to Spain, I was. Leaping to Spain was easy. Tossing away everything for a new page has always been safe for me. 
Now staying, being right here with my people as life unfolds in all of its bittersweet beauty, that's another story. 
And if you'll come by now and then, I hope to tell it. 


Here's to new beginnings.


Thanks to Laura Young for the gorgeous bleeding hearts photo.

7 Comments:

  • So excited ... can't tell you how excited!

    By Anonymous Di, at 4:35 PM  

  • :)

    By Blogger Erin, at 1:54 AM  

  • so very excited to see you back!! maybe I'll rediscover my own voice as well...

    By Anonymous Alexandra, at 5:43 AM  

  • Oh and so very excited to see you here, Alex. I think of you every time I drink Intelligentsia coffee. :)

    Phase one was getting started here with a few posts. Phase two is getting over to see what you and another friend or two have been writing lately. You just prompted the launch of phase two!

    By Blogger Erin, at 9:29 PM  

  • Yeah, you will see I haven't been up to much. I mean, I'm super busy, I'm learning to knit and to sew, the cats are lovely, it's cycling season again, and I want to learn to run once again this season. Oh and there's a trip to Girona on the cards. But I've been so long without writing that I'm a it blocked. Haven't found my voice. I posted something by impulse today to see if it would break the ice. Oh, and there's a food blog, can't remember if you know : http://matoandmaplesyrup.com

    A

    By Anonymous Alexandra, at 4:52 AM  

  • I loved your yesterday post, just by the way, Alex. That is your voice, to me---feeling an exuberance on a spring cycling day that just makes you wish you could whistle. Such a recognizable feeling, and it brought me a huge grin on this grey Chicago morn.

    I do know your food blog and will confess I have lurked there now and then over the last few years - visited and not commented!

    By Blogger Erin, at 7:20 PM  

  • I tamed the feeling a tad - I actually felt I could burst into song :)

    By Anonymous Alexandra, at 5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home