a wandering woman writes

Friday, December 09, 2005

Things I've collected




Things I've Collected

Marriages I'd seen by the age of 25 that I told myself I'd actually take, 4

Women I'd like to have coffee with,
Maya Angelou, Maria del Mar Bonet, Grace O'Malley the Irish pirate queen...

Spanish words it takes my whole mouth to say

Jokes my father told me

Guidebooks to places I've never visited

Little pieces of places I've hiked,
Homemade coal from the Pinsapo forest, an arrow shaped flint from Mallorca...

Moments when I was just where I was supposed to be

Times I've tried to take up yoga

Times I've seen Gone With the Wind, 13

Earth moving jazz solos

Passport-sized photos of myself, just in case

Christmas`cards I never sent

Whales I've watched leap

Single surviving earrings

Broken umbrellas

Unread copies of Don Quijote, 4

Job titles I accepted

Marriage proposals I (wisely) didn't

Black shoes, 14

Foods I've tried and hated, 1

Cookbooks I've never used

Never opened tubes of lipstick

Little strips of paper with spot-on fortunes

Laughlines




So tell me, what have you collected, anything cool?

Labels:

12 Comments:

  • Snowglobes from all the places I've visited.

    By Blogger Frank, at 11:51 PM  

  • OOH! I like snowglobes! Do you always find them?

    By Blogger Erin, at 12:01 AM  

  • things my kids say that make me laugh. Oh, and their teeth, but that's only because mothers are supposed to do that..

    By Blogger hobbes, at 3:02 AM  

  • Hi again,
    no, I can't always find them. In South Korea, for example, I couldn't find any snow globes or spoons. [The spoons were for my cousins, honest!] When this happens, I settle for something similar, like small-scale replicas of buildings I've visited in the country.

    By Blogger Frank, at 3:06 AM  

  • From what I read, hobbes, that tooth collection is getting pretty expensive/valuable, too...

    By Blogger Erin, at 9:32 AM  

  • Shower gel or shampoo in little bottles from the hotels I've stayed in.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:31 PM  

  • I used to hoard stuff. Couldn't part with anything.

    Nowadays, I collect good feelings, thoughts, smiles, memories...

    They don't gather dust, they're easy to carry around and flick through.

    By Blogger Cream, at 2:00 AM  

  • Alex, jeje, ok, done that, too.

    But in the end, I´m with you, cream. Although I really did collect marriages I admired when I was in my 20's, I was such a cynical child.., and the list of women for a coffee's been growing for a while, when I scribbled out this list I realized I've never intentionally collected any "things" - and the seredipitous surprises on my list are absolutely my favorites. (And they were the easiest part of my move to Spain.)

    By Blogger Erin, at 3:32 PM  

  • travelling as much as I do and living in as many countries as I have, I guess my collection would have to be the friends I have met on the way...and the friends waiting to be met.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:42 PM  

  • Ah, wonderful collection, donet.

    I like running into you here. Thank you for stopping by.......

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:05 PM  

  • I've collected bells and books. Though I'm getting into a different mindset about 'things'.
    Lots of stuff is on its way out the door.
    I really want to get to bare furniture tops, counters, etc.
    Some few special things in a special cabinet...everything else much more zen-like.

    I still like to bring home little pieces of the places I've been, like stones, or wood knots, or seashells, etc., even if it is only from a walk in the neighborhood.

    A fun conversation, Erin, thanks for getting us started. :)

    By Blogger Kate Winner, at 4:09 PM  

  • I've collected lots of masks. For a long time people only gave me the harlequin type masks, which I like alot but I also fancy other types. Finally people started giving me a variety of masks, so now I have all kinds.

    By Blogger melusina, at 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home