a wandering woman writes

Monday, February 13, 2006

Pardon me while I compose myself

So, yesterday I had a long luxurious read of the Sunday El País. So long and so luxurious that I finally dove into the growing pile of articles I'd snipped from previous editions......hoping I'd find the time to read and absorb them, someday.

I'd saved a book review titled Musicalidad de la Persona. A review of a book by a Spanish philosopher I hadn't heard of. His metaphor intrigued me.

In essence, he says, every one of us is a musical composition.

Hmmm. I like that. So today I got to thinking. If I were a musical composition, ...what would I be? If I arrive at the Pearly Gates only to meet a chance for a second go-round, this time as a piece of music, which style of music would I choose to be?

Easy. Me?

I'd dip right into the Tango line.

Yep. I'd be a tango. Think about it.

As a tango, it would be my job to surprise people. And whip them into an emotional frenzy. And sometimes, but only sometimes, shatter their hearts. I could change meters whenever I wanted. And keys, and rhythms. I could stop


when I felt like it, then pick up again.

I'd be heartbreakingly sad, then suddenly defiant. Alluring, then aloof. Downright kitschy some days. That would be fun.

Strange percussion instruments would be more than welcome to join the party, and there'd be lots of banging of things and kicking of legs offbeat. I'd generally BE offbeat, I think, as a tango, which reading this entry has likely convinced you would be a good fit for me.

Best of all, as a tango, I'd be long, melodic phrases, heartbreakingly beautiful, but always with a lot going on behind the scenes. Rumbling piano in the lower register, a subtle driving beat, that sort of thing. I know I'd be deceivingly complex and harmonically interesting. I'd be a tango! Discord? Dissonance? Come on in.

People could dress if they wanted. And lock eyes.

C'mon. Slow slow slow quick quick slow. Doesn't that just sound like me? Caught any sense of straightforward rhythm in this blog?

Nope, tango. Comfortable on a street corner, in a smokey bar. In a concert hall, I suppose, if we could please avoid big budget Riverdance-style Tango extravaganzas. Very comfortable alone at a piano. Maybe just one tapping foot? Or a ring on a wine glass?

Of course, as a Tango, I'd be all about love.
(Ok, ok, give me a break, it's Valentine's.)

I like this idea.


So how about you? If you were a musical composition what would you be?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • OOOHHH! after reading this, I want to be a Tango, too!!! :)
    But, I'd probably be...hmmm
    (interesting to think about what I am like rather than what MUSIC I like)
    I think I would be a baroque concerto. I could spend my quiet times hanging out in the bass lines, then jump upward through the various harmonies when I'm ready for some cavorting.

    By Blogger Kate Winner, at 3:28 PM  

  • Oh, I like that, too, Kate. Good idea. You go cavort in the treble clef now and we'll catch up later.

    By Blogger Erin, at 9:27 PM  

  • WM, you're my kind of dreamer! When I hear Tango I think of Buenos Aires and slow motion stuff in smokey joints serving cheap mojitos!
    I definitely want to be a Tango!

    By Blogger Cream, at 12:40 AM  

  • I am right with you on this.
    This is just what I needed to read today.
    You are a beacon in the darkness of my current life, my dear.
    I've been SO unmusical. So untangolike this past month.
    But I do know that space.
    Now, to get back to it...

    By Blogger Laura, at 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home