a wandering woman writes

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

To the little girl on C/San Pablo last Sunday

I call it "Three seconds of eternity"


I don’t know what her parents have planned for her. What school they’ll struggle to send her to, what career they’ll point her toward. I don’t know what her own goals will be, how she’ll plan out her career, whether she’ll marry well and gift her mother with grandchildren. I don’t know how they’ll all plan for old age, whether she’ll be ready to take care of her parents and later herself. Or if they plan to bring her a brother or sister to play and grow old with.

I only know her as she is right now, this moment. Face pressed against the window glass, two hands plastered to the pane above her. A lost sprite wandered in from the forest, jubilant at the sight of people. Singing. HOLA! HOLA! HOLA! Loud as she can, louder with every motherly tug on her sleeve. Blue eyes dancing, dark silken curls bouncing around her head. HOLA! HOLA! HOLA!

I only know her ecstasy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • You are an amazingly gifted writer. Que Dios le siga bendeciendo en todo lo que hace, y que este consciente de la presencia permanente de El (aunque a veces dificil de ver)

    Have loved your blog--I, by the way, just moved from Ecuador to Chicago and will possibly be moving to
    Salamanca en two years... veremos.

    Keep writing...

    By Blogger Nicia, at 2:46 AM  

  • Wow, Chris, thank you. Not sure where it's going but I now see I have no choice but to go with it!

    Chicago! Big change.....can't say I didn't feel a little twinge just now, hearing you were now in my beloved Chicago...Eat a char polish for me, with everything, will you?

    Wild that you then may repeat my move..chicago to salamanca. It's a good move. :-)

    By Blogger Erin, at 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home