a wandering woman writes

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

MIA




Didn't I use to have a blog?

Oh dear. If a tree falls in a deserted blog nobody bothers to visit any more, does it make any sound?

I'll be back sooner than you think, I promise. This limping wandering woman officially throws away the work and residency permission she used to dream about this week, only to trade them in for what the Spanish call "autonomy" (oh yes, yes, give me some of that..) All of which has hopefully conjured up an image of me frantically reminding a Spanish company I really am leaving Friday, and might they want to just visualize Monday for just one minute, just this once, just in case....by considering who will do this? and that?

Meanwhile, I have met the loveliest stamp-wielding, paper spinning funcionarios and moved nearly every cent I have to Spain, just to prove I'm serious, apparently. Autonomy for foreigners comes at the price of a large Spanish bank account............

I always knew there was a price.

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • I seriously doubt that your blog is deserted... :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:22 PM  

  • It's not deserted ... I tiptoe in everyday, just in case ... LOVE the photograph!

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 5:51 PM  

  • Yes, well,you guys are still coming by, I meant to say, but not finding anyone home. A blog deserted by its blogger; I worried you stop peeking in. Thank you for swinging by, anyway. Yes, yes, I do still live here!!!! :)

    The photo is Astorga, which I've yet to post...lovely little corner.

    By Blogger Erin, at 9:18 PM  

  • I don't understand your post very well. I suppose what you have to do is renew your "permiso de residencia y trabajo".

    Ah, doesn't large amounts in the banks give autonomy to everyone that is fortunate to be able to dispose of them?

    Good luck with the red tape.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 AM  

  • No, Alex, they make me change it, from cuenta ajena to cuenta propia, and then it's starting from scratch again. Only 1 year's permission even though I already have 2 year renewals and only Salamanca and only in what specify, even though I already have permission (cuenta ajena) anywhere in Spain and in any job.

    Just strikes me funny when I want to create jobs and support myself here...

    And it isn't such a large account, sadly :) lots more will have to come in quickly if the autonomy is to include food and shelter. :) I left my corp gig 5 years ago, the bank account that went with it is long gone.
    :)

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:06 AM  

  • Hooray for your bravery! I miss you when you're gone and wait (somewhat) patiently for your return.

    from the other kate

    By Blogger Kate Winner, at 3:34 PM  

  • Oh no! I didn't realize how much was changing with the residency! There IS a lot I didn't know.
    Egads.

    By Blogger Laura, at 4:50 PM  

  • My daughter, the eldest, saw this photo and said, "Wow, Mom, is that the secret garden?" Great shot!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 AM  

  • Hey donet!

    It was a lovely little corner and there was a delicious old woman sitting there, but you caught my bumbling photographer moods and moved away, sure I'd ask to take her picture (which I was headed that way to do...)

    I DID see the secret garden on Inishmore, though. A little sign on a tall crumbling wall said " The Secret Garden" and inside, in the shell of an old house, I think, someone was growing all kinds of lovely things. Completely hidden from view.

    By Blogger Erin, at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home