a wandering woman writes

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Words I love

Today's Poetry Thursday prompt was words we love, and words we hate, and while it sent me off in lots of fun directions - that many of my favorite words in Spanish are not words at all, but part of an elaborate second castellano of artful gestures and delicious facial expressions, for example (there's a lovely Salamanca poem in there, I just know it) -

in the end, I have come back to an old friend for Poetry Thursday this week. Here's to words!


Notes on the Art of Poetry
by Dylan Thomas

I could never have dreamt that there were such goings-on
in the world between the covers of books,
such sandstorms and ice blasts of words,
such staggering peace, such enormous laughter,
such and so many blinding bright lights,
splashing all over the pages
in a million bits and pieces
all of which were words, words, words,
and each of which were alive forever
in its own delight and glory and oddity and light.

Labels:

12 Comments:

  • Perfect!

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 1:05 PM  

  • Gorgeous!

    By Blogger Laura, at 2:26 PM  

  • Fantastic! That really says it all about the wonder of words.

    By Blogger paris parfait, at 2:34 PM  

  • I love Dylan Thomas. He was the best! Thanks.

    By Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis, at 5:32 PM  

  • Hi AWW, it's me bd(beloved dreaner)lol
    Great, just right for today. I have always loved Dylan Thomas. Wish I was as talented
    God I can't believe your are now in Spain. Oh I wish i was with you my frend. It must be so beautiful.
    Have fun and just LIVE!
    Also thank you for your words about my poem.

    By Blogger Cassiopeia Rises, at 5:54 PM  

  • I love Dylan Thomas. This is a wonderful poem choice!

    By Blogger Kim, at 9:14 PM  

  • What a great poem. Thank you for sharing.

    By Blogger January, at 10:13 PM  

  • "elaborate second castellano"

    I have no idea what that is, but I want one so very much!

    I also love how Thomas ends this poem separating the final four words with all those ands: each given all the more weight.

    By Blogger Jim Brock, at 12:34 AM  

  • love this...
    and i have just decided
    that
    oddity
    is one of the words
    i love best
    :)

    By Blogger gkgirl, at 1:44 AM  

  • Brilliant choice! Loved it!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Tammy Brierly, at 2:48 AM  

  • this is delightful!

    By Blogger Sheela, at 10:32 AM  

  • Ooh, goody. I chose well. Thank you everybody!
    Beloved Dreamer I have to get over to your site to confess that you've confused me with that wandering upstart kiwi (as many people do) over in Antwerp. She's wanderingwoman.blogspot.com, well, and the first comment on this post, see her there? the imposter? Lol, the OTHER w-w? (who writes ever so much more than me, maybe I should concede the moniker...

    Sorry, Jim, will have to remember Poetry Thursday brings folks not yet used to the strange spanglish I sometimes write in. Castellano is Castillian, the language commonly called "Spanish" although Spain has several official languages, by region...Sorry about that.


    GK girl, yes oddity is a fabulous word, isn't it?

    By Blogger Erin, at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home