a wandering woman writes

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Autumn along the Tormes

I have long wanted to see Agustín Ibarrola's Painted Forest in the Basque Country. (Here's a link to a stunning photo set at Flickr.)

I likely got the hankering to see the living version from the "dry" painted forest we here in Salamanca, El Bosque de Olmos, in which Ibarrola and Salamanca art students worked with dead elms moved from around the city, stones, etc.

But I'm feeling no urgency about the trip to Ibarrola's forest today. I took a midafternoon walk along the river and noticed that the trees were doing a fine job on their own. Here's a short walk by the Tormes:




Labels:

7 Comments:

  • This is the first I've heard of this amazing forest not all that far from my door. And perfect timing as well: some friends and I have a car rented for the weekend after next and have been tossing around possible destinations--this is going to the top of my list!

    By Blogger wheylona, at 1:55 AM  

  • Oh go!!!!
    And take pictures, will you?
    You'll have to tell me how far it is from you, too.

    Not all that surprised you haven't heard of it, not sure why. I read an article about Ibarrola last year when he spent the summer in Ávila, painting rocks. :) ETA makes (or made, who knows now) his life pretty uncomfortable in Pais Vasco -- burning down buildings with his work in it, etc...Apparently he's one of he founders of Basta Ya and he's not giving an inch.

    Go!

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:57 AM  

  • Beautiful photos..
    I'm going to go look at some our trees with a new eye and my camera at the ready!

    Thanks, Erin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:22 PM  

  • Stunning tree bark & stunning photo's. Thank you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 AM  

  • more than welcome, Kate and Anon.

    I got the real treat. I got to walk through it. :)

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:01 PM  

  • amazing photos; one thinks of leaves turning colors - not bark...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:00 PM  

  • We're going!!

    My flatmate who's from the area says it's about an hour from SanSe. While we're out that way we're planning on stopping by Gernika as well. Very excited.

    I'll definitely have the camera and extra batteries with me, though I'm not sure I can beat that wonderful photoset on Flickr. Still, keep an eye on my blog for a report after next weekend. I saw that bit about Ibarrola being threatened by ETA, which reminded me to recommend Julio Medem's documentary La Pelota Vasca, if you haven't already seen it.

    By Blogger wheylona, at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home