a wandering woman writes

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Voodoo, anyone? Perils of a Spanish grocery store

OK.

First let me make clear I've lived in Spain for 2 1/2 years. But this is new.

I don't mean to be a wimpy American. I have a degree in Animal Science from Purdue, I swear. I've trimmed beaks and eye teeth, sheared wool and castrated more young animals than I care to talk about.

Still, I let out a squeal.

I've been living the soft life for a long time now, so it surprised me....

...when I opened up the prewrapped "pollo entero" (whole chicken) I'd picked up at El Arbol today, not feeling up to the line at the butcher's stand.

And it had a head.

A lovely little chicken's head, which I promptly removed, along with a few stray feathers.

I have a chicken's head in the house. Feels like I should do something with it.

Voodoo anyone?

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • Lol, eww ...

    Poor you, there you are making your own chicken soup for your cold when you discover there's a beheading and disposal of said head.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 11:03 PM  

  • When I was a child, the now ubicuous "paella" was merely a disposal for bits and ends of other foods; a bit of this (ends of greens) a bit of that (the two snails foung in a bush near home, the not-so-nice parts of rabbits, chikens,...)Sincerely , we tried to avoid it and always asked mum "Please, only the rice, please" until she decided to make a more fashionable "paella" with ingredients especially bought. But I can swear that that was the real recipe.(And the rice tated wonderful!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:09 PM  

  • I have a friend here in Mexico City who says that he loved a particular person's soups, and that they just weren't quite the same when she made them in the United States. When he asked her about it, she told him that she couldn't get one ingredient on that side of the border - chicken heads. Or maybe it was feet? Somehow this turned out to be a crucial part of the final flavor.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:26 AM  

  • Hey ww, and welcome Ana and Peter.

    LOL; Ana,and I suspect the rice did taste great - better than a lot of the fashionable paella. Thing is, I 'm thinking Peter is on to soemthing. This is by far the tastiest soup I have ever made....I think I've finally beat my mother's! Who knew the secret was a much more "whole" chicken?

    By Blogger Erin, at 4:08 PM  

  • My mother used to cook chicken feet and she put it into paella. And she loved eating them.
    I enjoy peering the process of peeling and I remmember smelling the burnt skin.
    I was so young...!

    By Blogger Nomadita, at 4:08 PM  

  • Erin-

    I didn't know you practiced the darker arts. LOL :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:04 PM  

  • Shhhh, Dan, shhhh; it's just that I hate to waste a good chicken's head....

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home