a wandering woman writes

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Lost and found on the Camino de Santiago

LOST

1. More than a few contact lenses. Though I did find the one I thought I'd lost yesterday. Found it in my eye, I did. Down to three lenses, all just a tad worn.

2. 1 pair after-walking socks, left in the albergue in Terradillos de los Templarios.

3. All sense of linear time. And the date.

4. 1 hiking pole. I left it in the first bar on the way in to Burgos, and have since heard it was last seen happily leaning against a table near the door, by pilgrims who spotted it without knowing it was mine. May you be happy there, trusty pole.

5. So many people I would have liked to have gotten to know better.

6. At least a pant size
, judging by my sudden and increasingly urgent need for a belt.

FOUND

Ah, here I can only begin to list....

1. At least a dozen muscles I promise you I never knew I was carrying round with me.

2. Time. Lots and lots and lots of time.

3. The undeniable advantages of doing this Camino when you speak Spanish.....and English.

4. Herculean generosity. Can't think of a better way to describe it.

5. Comida picante in Spain. Yes!! In Spain! Go to Navarra, now, and order alubias rojas (red beans)...then sit back and wait. Before you know it you will be sitting before a bowl of fabulously tasty alubias - served with a nice stack of hot (ok, semi hot) peppers. Similar to pepperoncini, for example. Heavenly.

Much more to come......

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • I love this post. And I love your adventurous spirit. and I LOVE your ability to write all about it so beautifully. Can't wait for the book.
    REALLY look forward to meeting you in person - and in Salamanca - someday.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:12 PM  

  • Hi Wandering Woman,

    It's just great that you've decided to do El Camino... I had the chance to do it almost 5 years ago (already! that makes me feel old... even though I just turned 20!) and I know I'll do it again in the future.

    Had I been in Spain, I would have shown you the hospitality of us burgaleses (and perhaps helped you retrieve your pole) but, as much as fate twists, here I am, the Spaniard in the States, and there you are, the American in Spain...

    Way to go, and for sure you know that. Wait till you hike your way to Galicia... a painful and wonderful experience at the same time.

    Keep your blogging up, it shoots my morriña when it tries to overwhelm me...

    ¡Buen Camino!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:40 AM  

  • Hey, careful, I'll hold you to that, KAte!!

    Cristina, I'm so glad to see you! Cristina of the short story, yes?? Why does it not surprise me at all you've done the Camino?? Amybe we'll meet here on it someday; I suspect I'll be along this trail again..

    By Blogger Erin, at 12:36 PM  

  • Yup, that same Cristina... and, btw, I'll probably visit Salamanca in the near future as my sister has started college there...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home