a wandering woman writes

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Wise words...from a politician?

"If you know who you are, if you know what you believe in, if you know what you are fighting for, then you can afford to listen to folks who don't agree with you.....It won't hurt you."

-Barack Obama


Okay, he was talking about reaching across the aisle in American politics, but read it again. Damn good advice, across the board, don't you think? The knowing and the listening.

Why, yes, he is my senator from the great state of Illinois, and yes, he is impressing the expat heck out of me. You might say he's given me hope, and it's anything but false.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Loved this ... borrowed it ;)

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 8:43 AM  

  • I just read Caroline Kennedy's endorsement for Barack Obama in the Sunday NYT today.

    By Blogger Sani, at 4:37 AM  

  • Hey Sonja! I hadn't seen the endorsement; thanks for sending me over there.

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:16 PM  

  • I was in the library at saw the audio version of his book, "Dreams of my father". It's comprised of five CDs. I'm on the third CD now. He is reading his background and it's very interesting. Mother from Middle America, father from Kenya, born in Hawaii, moves to Indonesia with mother and new stepfather, learns to speak Indonesian in about six months, mother decides he's American and needs an American education, so back to Hawaii. Now he's in Occidental, California, going to college.

    I find myself letting the car run just a bit longer, waiting for a good stopping point, before I get out of the car. It's a good "listen". :)

    By Blogger Sani, at 11:35 PM  

  • Hmmm...I'll never find it here but I may look for that book next time I am home. Tell me your thoughts when you're done, will you? Or blog it, and I'll go read it there.

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home