a wandering woman writes

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Piano Man 2

OK, the Piano Man who so intrigued me was a fake.

Although I'm not sure which is more heart-wrenching, the original story or the new one.

Weird thing, though. I found out he'd spoken up and gone home on my way home from work, and when I put my work bag down at home....I gave in to a mad compulsion to play the piano. Tangos, over an hour. Which I never do during the week.

So I'm not sure what to make of my having been so affected by his story, except maybe that I'm still just a pie-eyed American optimist who'll give anybody the benefit of the doubt, which suits me just fine.

After all, he got me thinking back in May, and last night he got me playing the piano before dinner (maybe just to prove I still could!).

*******
Speaking of Piano Man, this long-ago Billy Joel freak (yours truly, I even wore men's ties in high school, more to emulate him than Annie Hall, sorry, pictures sadly NOT available) heard Piano Man - the Spanish version - during the workday serenade last week. It's truly wild, and says something about our cultures I haven't quite deciphered yet. Ana Belén sings it, El Hombre del Piano, and it's dramatic and emotional and tear-inspiring...like any good Spanish ballad. Piano man!

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • Fine, Spam me.

    Anybody - how do I delete that post?

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:09 AM  

  • When I am looged in as Mestre, I can see a trash basket icon under every comment I get. Clicking on that icon erases a comment.

    By Blogger Mestre, at 10:17 AM  

  • saved by mestre.
    Thanks! Still in California?

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:40 AM  

  • Not any more :-(
    Back in Barcelona.

    By Blogger Mestre, at 12:30 PM  

  • speaking of beautiful cities!
    Well, welcome back!

    By Blogger Erin, at 12:42 PM  

  • Hi from Germany! I found your blog through Armin's Ministry of Propoganda and I'm enjoying reading about your adventures in Spain. I was a bit peeved about the Piano Man as well when I found out.

    Also,I can totally relate to your post about having to explain an Irish name in Spain. We gave our younger son a Scottish first name and a Welsh middle name and the Germans just aren't going for it.

    Another way to stop the spam is to got to your comments settings and check off "word recognition". That way the spambots can't get you.

    By Blogger christina, at 12:52 AM  

  • Hi Christina!

    Thanks for coming by! Tell your son I feel his pain (except you do get talking to a lot of people who just have to ask about the name, don't you?) I'm going to go try that spam-repelling trick now...

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home