a wandering woman writes

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Reason 42

I'm back!
Anybody notice I was missing?

There will be much blogging here for a few days, and then there will vacation, well earned, may I add, and shared with the very woman who told me to take the trip that started my romance with Spain and the Spanish language. And there will be Sevilla! Any excuse, I run to Sevilla. We'll use a visiting Aussie this time. Any excuse works for me.

*****

I have come across yet another of Wandering-Woman's myriad reasons to live in Spain:

Reason 42:
There can be no place easier to throw a party. No place.

Cosmo party? Huge success. Despite the frantic and at times desperate search for fresh dill and fresh basil for the pinchos. In the end, I found both. In Salamanca! Impressing even the most pijo (snobby, yuppie) of my guests. And creating much better tasting pinchos.

Success despite the need to corral every lime in town. (OK, Spaniards, just why are fresh limes so hard to come by?)

Triple sec? Easy. I found Cointreau at the El Arbol where my shopping cart still lives. (Yes, still. Stay tuned for El Arbol cart-freeing updates.)

Bottled lime juice? Impossible. Limes? A lot of work, but where else could I find a friend generous enough to squeeze limes with a wooden hand-juicer until her hands blistered? And then soothe the pain with cosmopolitans, sing a little and dance all night?

Be careful inviting Spaniards to a party. They're potent. They bring more people (which I love), they sing, they dance, they make you play the piano, they rave about everything, they eat what you put in front of them and then they help you whip up another batch. While dancing. Finally, they give the neighbors a break about 3 and carry you off to the clubs to dance and sing Fue Un Error at the top of your lungs til dawn.

The other extranjero at the party, a British friend from work, pulled me aside at one point to say - "Wow, you know how to do this! You can really throw a party!"

To which I replied, honestly, "All I did was open the door!"

Easiest guests in the world. Just add food. And other people.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Yes we did notice you were away - in fact we were just about to put toghether a search party, but I like the sound of your kind of party better.

    By Blogger hobbes, at 3:02 AM  

  • Well, if the search party shows up here looking for me, there´s plenty of vodka left, and all those lovely martini glasses I bought - so we could easily combine the 2.

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:31 AM  

  • If you ever come down to Barcelona, knowing you enjoy your cocktails like you do, you must go to Boadas, where you might even get them to arrange a "Cosmo" for you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 PM  

  • He encontrado tu blog por casualidad. Soy Salmanntino y no sabes como me gusta que te encante esta ciudad. Estoy muy contento de que te sientas bien aqui, entre estas piedras casi anaranjadas. Un beso pues.
    jaframarcos@hotmail.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 AM  

  • I want an invite to the next one! What are pinchos? I've already got basil and dill!!!
    :)

    Thanks for your comments at my blog; you'll see i'm still unhung up on lessons, though....
    I just can't help it!

    By Blogger Kate Winner, at 11:11 AM  

  • Encantada, Jaframa. La verdad es que me encanta nuestra ciudad. Estas piedras casi anaranjadas son mágicas, es esto, no?

    Kate, anytime. There's a cosmo and at least a couple of pinchos with your name on them. When you get to Madrid, turn right.

    Pinchos are tapas in Salmantino, by the way. Yummy snacklets.

    And thanks Alex. I'll remember Boadas.

    By Blogger Erin, at 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home