a wandering woman writes

Friday, February 17, 2006

Reasons 56 through 58



I know, I know, the picture is all sky, but you've got to understand me and Andalucian skies. This was Christmas week, in the Sierra Norte of Sevilla.



And now the continuing saga of one American and her myriad reasons for living in Spain. I've lost all sense of the numbers, by the way, so I´ll just pick up where I like.....

Reason 56
They call me Blonde.

True, at work I am affectionately (we hope) and frequently referred to as "la rubia". And outside of work, more than one Spaniard instructed to look out for a short brunette (morena) has approached me with a twisted brow, confirmed that I was indeed the person they were looking out for, and then pulled me aside to explain to me that I am, in fact, not morena.

- By the way, you're blonde. Eres rubia.

No one in the good old US of A is ever going to call me blonde. Or guapatona, for that matter. Particularly my boss.

Reason 57


Until they export morcilla in large and cheap quantities, I'm not budging. Americans, it's a sausage, but don't ask....It's also heaven with a cold beer and a piece of crusty bread.

Reason 58

If I go, I'm taking the storks with me. Speaking of which, time to run to work and see how their nests are coming along. They are everywhere, by the dozens. Already. Doesn't it seem early?

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Hi there!

    I like your reasons. By the way, in English morcilla is black pudding. More about it on the wikipedia:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 AM  

  • Hi Alex!

    Yeh, it's the same principle as the black pudding they eat in Ireland, but I found that dry and tasteless.. NO competition! Thanks for the link (We don't eat in the States..)

    I'm so addicted, Alex. My favorite bar in Salamanca for morcilla claims to serve the most varieties of morcilla in all of Spain. I still haven't made it through all of them...I'm stuck on the morcilla picante because I love it so...

    By Blogger Erin, at 11:12 AM  

  • meant to say we don't eat black pudding in the states, obviously.

    No secret that we do indeed eat in the States.

    ups. prisa.

    By Blogger Erin, at 11:14 AM  

  • I've had the same 'everything is relative' experience in Puerto Rico when I was looking for my dad. Someone described him as 'the very tall blonde man'. When I looked at my average height, brown haired dad next to the short black-haired Puerto Rican who had just described him, I could sort of see where he was coming from.

    PS That photo is incredible.

    By Blogger hobbes, at 12:14 PM  

  • Gorgeous, gorgeous photo! Thank you for sharing!

    By the way, I also had been meaning to comment that I like the previous post, on the little girl. :) You write beautifully!

    By Blogger Angie, at 5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home