a wandering woman writes

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Poetry Thursday

Well, I have 4 minutes to make my first Poetry Thursday on time. It's 23:57.

And after the week I've had, of change, of the end of one chapter and the start of another, of immigration forms and business plans and workplace goodbyes that feel much more permanent that any of us will admit to,

after that week I knew I wanted Frost for Poetry Thursday. I've had a line from Directive running through my head:

Back out of all this now too much for us

as I've raced around all week, but Directive, a beautiful poem too long for this post (but you will go read it, won't you?) by this Thursday midnight has settled down and led me back to another Frost, a poem that feels like it's been with me forever. If it feels a little out of season, well, it isn't:

RELUCTANCE


Out through the fields and the woods
And over the walls I have wended;
I have climbed the hills of view
And looked at the world, and descended;
I have come by the highway home,
And lo, it is ended.

The leaves are all dead on the ground,
Save those that the oak is keeping
To ravel them one by one
And let them go scraping and creeping
Out over the crusted snow,
When others are sleeping.

And the dead leaves lie huddled and still,
No longer blown hither and thither;
The last lone aster is gone;
The flowers of the witch-hazel wither;
The heart is still aching to seek,
But the feet question 'Whither?'

Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season?

by Robert Frost




So there, a double dip of Frost!
If you don't know Poetry Thursday, surf over and check it out. You can post your own poems, or a favorite poem by someone else, or just write a post about poems...or.....

I'll be doing it here every Thursday. (Hmmm and maybe in Spanish some, if I am really going to share favorites... )

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • Frost is one of my two favourite poets. Thanks for sharing this poem! I look forward to reading more of your posts from beautiful Spain.

    By Blogger paris parfait, at 1:07 AM  

  • Oh.
    Well, you know.
    Oh.
    Wow. No less than a treason. Get that. In it.

    By Blogger Laura, at 2:43 PM  

  • Lovely, and as a wandering woman, I'm sure you must like this one by Antonio Machado (I know I've quoted it before but can't resist!):
    "Caminante, son tus huellas
    el camino y nada más;
    Caminante, no hay camino,
    se hace camino al andar.
    Al andar se hace el camino,
    y al volver la vista atrás
    se ve la senda que nunca
    se ha de volver a pisar.
    Caminante no hay camino
    sino estelas en la mar."

    By Blogger qaminante, at 11:43 PM  

  • Hi Erin!

    I've just returned from Granada. I know you like visiting places, so you *must* go there, it's amazing. I've got some photos here:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexcastella/sets/72157594147771749/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:15 PM  

  • Sorry...
    I can't just give you the link to the Granada set of photos. I'll give you the link to my page in flickr:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexcastella/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 PM  

  • Oooh, thank you for posting that, qaminante! I (shamefully) didn't know that was Machado. Maybe you'll have to play Poetry Thursday, too?

    Alex, on my way to check out your Granada photos. Going to be in Barcelona the last weekend in June, btw...Coffee?

    By Blogger Erin, at 7:26 AM  

  • Hi,
    Welcome to Poetry Thursday!
    Robert Frost is a poet I would read anytime....even when i am dead tired ...he refreshes you..
    I loved the last para "Ah, when to the heart of man
    Was it ever less than a treason
    To go with the drift of things,
    To yield with a grace to reason,
    And bow and accept the end
    Of a love or a season?"

    Thanks for sharing and i am looking forward for more from you..
    best wishes!
    abhay

    By Blogger White Square, at 10:45 AM  

  • Wonderful, I'm in Barcelona on the last weekend of June, I'll send you an email.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 PM  

  • I was not familiar with this poem by Frost, so thanks for bringing it to light. The last verse is wonderful.

    By Blogger jenclair, at 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home