a wandering woman writes

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Blazing griddles

I've discovered the ulitmate downside of Spain's summer heat.

While the local paper plastered the front page with a photo of the big bold red 44 (yes, as in 111 Fahrenheit) that passed, momentarily, across the digital time and temperature doo-dad on Salamanca's Gran Vía, I innocently wandered into one of my favorite bars for my favorite pincho.

Two sips into my beer, the girl behind the bar broke the news.

Seems morcilla keeps summer hours. It was too early to grill morcilla. Too hot.

I've since made it there late enough to get my fix of Zamora picante, but I'm still less than happy about this.

I'd be okay with some rain on the plains in Spain. Or a morcilla cold wave every 3rd day?

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Oh, wow! 44! I can't even imagine - that's worse than the heat wave of August 2003! Poor you! Obviously, you're drinking lots of water and staying in the shade. But I can't even imagine that heat in June. Bonne courage!

    By Blogger paris parfait, at 9:49 PM  

  • UGH, I can barely tolerate the heat here in good old New England, where a high is somewhere around 95 on a bad day—I'm not a fan of hot weather, being more of a polar bear than most people. :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 PM  

  • The 'delight' of Belgium is that you can get a 30oC day in summer however the very nice day might be a 12oC day, with low grey cloud and drizzle ... as in today.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 8:11 AM  

  • Ah, but it some ways it's better than New England, Dan....The heat here is all sun; there it's killer humidity. If you find shade, or wait til evening to move :), it's lovely here.

    Although I do have to put on sunscreen just to walk up the hill and buy a paper!

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home