a wandering woman writes

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Frida Kahlo at Casa Lis

I spent this morning at Casa Lis. As part of the Castilla-Leon International Photography Festival, Casa Lis is hosting an exhibition of 53 photographic portraits of Frida Kahlo.

It's a powerful, "stop in your tracks and just look" exhibition. Frida the person intrigues me. And to spend some time looking at a self-created work - her greatest work, herself the person - as captured by intimates, all of them artists in their own right who seem, in some moments, to get behind the mask......well, it made a good morning.

I don't know my photographers well, but the exhibition flyer describes the exhibit as (coincidentally) "an authentic catalog of 20th century photography". Photos by Edward Weston, Manuel Álvarez Bravo, Gisele Freund, Bernard Silberstein, Imagen Cunningham, Fritz Henle, Nicolás Muray and others join photos by Kahlo's father (a professional photographer, as was her grandfather, I believe) and Diego Rivera.

You can see many of the photographs here.

The exhibition seems to have been on the road awhile, having already hit the National Portrait Gallery in London and Casa de America in Madrid. It's worth the visit, says me, should it show up near you.

2 Comments:

  • Oh oh oh ... I've read a book about her, watched a movie ... would have loved to have seen this. Hope it hasn't already been through my world.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 9:47 PM  

  • hmm i like arts and photography , btw nice blog .

    By Blogger ankurindia, at 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home