a wandering woman writes

Thursday, September 28, 2006

What I've been doing ... while not blogging

What I've been doing while I haven't been writing blog posts:

1. Repeating descifrar. And necesidad. A lot.

I, friends, am firmly committed to developing hopelessly Spanish, full frontal lithp c's and z's. It's going pretty well, actually. Reminds me of my quest to learn Midwestern r's during my first year of college. Body guard (bahdy gahd where I grew up, thank you very much) became bardy guard; card shop (cahd shop....exactly) jumped out as card sharp.

And so, in Spanish, the lithp ith lithping nicely. Not a trace of those Mexican Spanish teachers who led me astray back in Chicago. But every once in a while, should the wandering mind wander -- and it does - I forget s's aren't soft c's in Spanish. Nethethedath. (¿Véis la necesidad de seguir en ello, verdath?)

2. Wandering Spain with a North Dakotan-turned Chicagoan who is plotting the introduction of claritas to Chicago (beer and sweet carbonated water) and who continued eating her morning cereal, contentedly, after I warned her she'd drowned it in horchata instead of milk. She now claims horchata turns any cereal into Frosted Flakes.


3. Did I mention the ferias in Salamanca?


4. Preparing a proposal for a new client in which I nearly doubled the hourly rate I charged my current clients. Gulp. Think it'll hold? All these European taxes, I tell you. A girl's got to eat.

5. Falling madly in love with Córdoba. Stories after a good night's sleep.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Have you seen My Fair Lady dubbed in to Spanish? ;-)

    I like the photo of the Córdoba Mezquita.

    I've missed you.

    By Blogger Alex Castellá, at 2:24 AM  

  • Well everybody should know everything tastes better if you put it into horchata. Horchata, yumm, now I NEED some and I've got none... Thanks NOT!.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:24 AM  

  • ohhhhhhhhhhh, you made me want to travel and made me wish i was linguistically competent.

    i loved this post, wandering is clearly very good for you :)

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 11:30 AM  

  • Hey Alfacharley, I like the new profile photo. And I can't imagine My Fair Lady in Spanish, but they ought to substitute my pronunciation practice for the whole Rain in Spain scene.....It's nice to be missed. I'm staying put til the end of November, now...

    lrb -Hmph! Well, this extranjera's house is NEVER without horchata. I love the stuff; it's my work break snack most days. Not sure I'm switching to horchata on my cereal, though...

    ah, but w-w, wandering is good for everybody...especially with company as good as I had...

    By Blogger Erin, at 5:15 PM  

  • But Erin, you're worth it... :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 AM  

  • thank you, Dan.
    (blush)

    By Blogger Erin, at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home