a wandering woman writes

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Wandering Woman's Laws of Life as a Blogging Expat



Well, this woman's been wandering more than writing, hasn't she?

The hardest part about writing up one's wanderings, I've decided, is stopping the wandering (or the unavoidable income-earning activities) to do the writing.

Look for a notebook full of "ooh! for the blog!" bits to start showing up here at the blog, one by one. First, in the way of an apology, I am pleased to share:

Wandering Woman's Irrefutable Laws of Life as an Expat

The Wanderer's First Law

When your self-employed gig involves drumming up publicity for clients in Spain, all of your hard work will come to nothing.

Until you take a working vacation, that is, at which time every website, newspaper and television contact you have ever talked with will suddenly require an immediate response.

Unavoidable Corollary to The Wanderer's First Law: If you've left a beloved blog untended during your working vacaction, the number of urgent work-related responses required during and immediately following your travels will double. Twice.

Life lesson to be gathered from The Wanderer's First Law: If your self employed gig involves drumming up publicity, take lots of working vacations. If you leave, they will call.

Wandering Woman's Second Law

When you move to Spain to live your life in Spanish, the language you've fallen head over heels in love with, your Spanish friends will decide it's time to perfect their English.

Corollary: You will desperately enjoy practicing with them, even as the irony amuses you. Especially if they draw cute blonde caricatures of you sporting an outfit you actually own.

Wandering-woman portrait above by the multi-talented Nomadita.

Omsbudsman's Note: Those of you who have met me in person will note that I am not, in fact, anywhere near that blonde. Shhhhhhh. My Spanish friends don't know that.... and I'm perfectly comfortable answering to "Rubia".

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Ahhhh finally, my patience is rewarded with many posts.

    Loved the picture ... had to scroll back when you said that you owned one like it.

    Laws to live by, oh wise one ... thanks for posting :)

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 8:43 PM  

  • If you are very very good, ww, I will wear my poncho for you when you are here. I bought it..where did I buy it???..somewhere in the Sierra Norte de Sevilla..last Christmas and I am quite hip in it.

    By Blogger Erin, at 5:04 PM  

  • Spanish desperete friend asks for English conversations in order to pass her English exam in June! Ok, that´s not fair for you but only a year!

    By Blogger Nomadita, at 6:44 PM  

  • LOL.

    Nomadita!! It's more than fair!! It's fun! You will receive a very poor mark this week (and I can do it, don't forget I know your teacher!) if you don't go back and read this post again:
    "Corollary: You will desperately enjoy practicing with them."
    I repeat
    Corollary: You will desperately enjoy practicing with them.
    Now cut your worrying and invite me out for pinchos. Tuesday again?

    By Blogger Erin, at 12:05 PM  

  • Corollary: thanks for being my rubia american friend!

    Of course I will enjoy although I understand you only 50% ;)

    By Blogger Nomadita, at 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home