a wandering woman writes

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Carlos Saura: ¡Fados!





I can't blog now. I'm pacing the floor. Anticipating.

¡Fados!

!Carlos Saura has made a movie about fados! And every article I devour about it includes what may just be my favorite word in all the world, saudade, a word I fell in love with during a far-too-brief first visit here.

Wait! What do you mean, Carlos who? Get with me here, guiris! ¡Españoles, porfa, decidles quién es! Carlos Saura, as in Tango and Flamenco.

Better yet, just hit play on the video screen. And feel free to join the pacing.

6 Comments:

  • If you like Saura´s fado, you might like this even more... check out a Portuguese fado star named Mariza. Her ´Fado em mim´ album is amazing, full of the heartbreak and suicidal ideation that make Fado so fundamentally familiar to we Children of the Blues. I don´t have bandwidth enough for YouTube, but I bet she´s on there!

    reb.

    By Blogger Rebrites@yahoo.com, at 7:29 PM  

  • She's in the film, too! She's part of why I'm excited!! I think you're right about the Children of the Blues pull to fado..... I remember being just rapt, mesmerized watching a woman sing in Lisbon.

    By Blogger Erin, at 7:43 PM  

  • I think I spent a month listening to Fado before my trip to Lisbon (and I was only going for 4 days) in december/06. I too fell in love with it! can't wait for the movie...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:15 PM  

  • Ufff, I seem to be running down the path into this music. Another gracias :)

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 1:44 PM  

  • Ohhhh thank you for saudades...oh that word that word...
    How did you know?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:08 PM  

  • Triste canción lusitana

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home