a wandering woman writes

Monday, March 17, 2008

Meet the Keltic Dreams

I've been feasting on this video all week. Meet the Keltic Dreams, a celebrated band of Irish stepdancers from.....a grade school in the Bronx?

I've feasted on this New York Times story because it crosses borders, defies assumptions, and stars some adorable, curious and openminded children who can step dance a heck of a lot better than me.

Watch this video and feast for yourself.

Note: The video loads from the link above, but very slowly. To get it to more quickly, follow the link below to the story, and watch the video there. Or, go to the Times video page and look for the video "Keltic Dreams".

The full online story is here.

4 Comments:

  • what a coincidence! I have just read about this on another blog and forwarded it to an irish friend... It is a truly moving story and it shows how culture can cross even the most remote borders...

    Thanks for the video!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:11 AM  

  • spoke too soon... the video doesn't seem to work for me... oh well!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:16 AM  

  • I found another one:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_SKBXKgTKls
    fastforward to 20:24

    Pretty neat!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:24 AM  

  • Yes, this story is fantastic! I read it online the day that it was published and it immediately brought a smile to my face as soon as I saw that great photo of the teacher with her young charges kicking up their heels during a rehearsal.

    I hope some wealthy New Yorker decides to fund their upcoming trip to the Emerald Isle.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home