a wandering woman writes

Sunday, June 25, 2006

San Juan and Radio Tango



Last night was Saint John's eve, a celebration of the birthday of Saint John the Baptist. (Scheduled conveniently close to the summer solstice by early Christians eager to recruit all those solstice loving pagans? Why yes, it was, now that you mention it.) Last year I visited bonfires along the river, where young revelers were tossing folded paper wishes into the flames. The local paper tells me I can thank Salamanca's vigilent firemen for the scarcity of fires this year.

I spent this Saint John's evening strolling from string quartet to tango ensemble to Japanese summer festival (where I did hang a wish on a tired looking bamboo tree) to traditional music to flamenco: Last night was Salamanca's second Noche Blanca , a free way to make the most out of one of the year's shortest nights. Expositions and galleries were open til the wee hours, cafe keepers rolled up their terrazas deep in the madrugada, and Salamanca's plazas and palaces hosted nonstop live performances from about 10 pm til 4 am. Add good company, a cool evening breeze, and appropriately timed pincho, beer and sidra (Asturian hard cider) stops, and you have a delightful Salamanca evening.

My highlight? Tango Zero, I think, whose website then led me to a great online radio find: La 2x4, Radio Tango from Buenos Aires.

If you are in a mood to transform wherever you are into a milonga in Buenos Aires for a naughty little while, I highly recommend it.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Thanks for the tip ... while the thunder rolled and the rain beat down yesterday, we listeded to Radio Tango and were transported.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 8:13 AM  

  • What fun! Wish I'd been there. Glad the heat loosened up a bit.

    By Blogger paris parfait, at 6:57 PM  

  • But did you tango around the apartment, ww, that is the question.

    It was funny, Paris, we heard very threatening (very LOUD) thunder, then it got cool and breezy - but never rained. (Probably because I carried my umbrella.)

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:38 PM  

  • As if ... I'm a kiwi, we were settled by Victorians ... I couldn't tango to save my life.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 10:43 PM  

  • I didn't say you had to tango well, did I? Was there an audience???Hmmm??

    LOL, you sound like me. Whenever my Costa Rican sister in law used to try to coach my salsa-ing, I always told her my Irish hips just didn't DO that, physically they just couldn't move that way, lol, then I'd demonstrate Irish step dancing (which I really can't do , either) to get my point across.

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home