a wandering woman writes

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Córdoba, anyone?

My ex is coming to visit.

My ex-business partner, that is. My first move to Chicago was a company move, to join a long term Chicago employee and a woman the company had just hired in Minneapolis in an unlikely quest to return the Chicago branch to glory. Before too long the long term employee left, and Leslie and I decided to try to accomplish the seemingly impossible alone.

In the end, we beat the former glory and started me up the company ladder, but it cost us. I often introduce Leslie to new friends as the colleague to whom I was "married" for 2 years. We worked 14+ hour days together, then waved to each other from our respective cars as we did the daily commute back to the city. We double dated. We spent long nights in blues clubs. We cranked the tunes after office hours and toasted Fridays with pizza and cold beer from the office fridge while we did the worst part of growing a staffing company, the payroll.

Leslie's chosen Madrid, Salamanca and Córdoba (by Ave fast train) for our 8 day itinerary. Although I remember loving Córdoba, I haven't visited since my first stay in Spain in 2001.

If anybody has a favorite hotel or restaurant to recommend, I am all ears.

I have discovered that it's a good time to visit Córdoba. The city is hosting tours, exhibitions, concerts and (best of all) special Sephardic menus in restaurants as part of a Europe-wide celebration of Jewish (Sephardic) culture. I read that at Red Juderías de España, which has nifty virtual tours of Spain's historic Jewish barrios. Here is the panoramic view of the judería of Córdoba, the most stunning I've visited so far.

Anyway, I start the planning now. All ears for recommendations....

7 Comments:

  • Oh WWoman!
    Read this post made me order a pizza to dinner!

    By Blogger Nomadita, at 8:59 PM  

  • I hope you like it "Hot"!!

    By Blogger daniel, at 9:27 PM  

  • It'll be a nice last blast of summer for the visiting Chicagoan; I figure. I don't mind the heat for a few days, there's always cold water and cool dark bars.

    Think it'll still be boiling in late September, Daniel?

    Enjoy, Nomadita :)

    By Blogger Erin, at 9:56 PM  

  • Erin—While I don't know anywhere in Spain to recommend, but I will say have fun, and enjoy your trip. :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 AM  

  • Welcome, Impatient Pete!!

    Thanks so much for the recommendations; I was hoping if I threw it out there, someone who comes by the blog would be able to get me started. I remember eating well in Córdoba - trying my first salmorejo and my first rabo de toro - both absolutely delicious, but it was so long ago.

    You've been a huge help! I'm looking at hotels today--if your wife remembers the name of your hotel near la Mezquita, let me know!

    By Blogger Erin, at 1:06 PM  

  • I've been to Cordoba only once and can't remember the names of the places we went (other than the obvious tourist spots, such as the mosque). Don't suppose you'll be anywhere near Sevilla in October? I'll be there five weeks (starting in Sept.)taking an intensive Spanish course.

    By Blogger paris parfait, at 3:56 PM  

  • I really liked this post!!
    Check out this one 925 sterlings

    Thanks

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home