a wandering woman writes

Saturday, October 21, 2006

I think I'm turning española, I think I'm turning española, I really think so....

What makes me say that, you ask?

Reason One. I have a wedding next weekend and I am determined to match. Exquisitely.

Shoes, dress, bracelet, earrings, purse, necklace, scarf, shawl... All must be simply made for each other and together they must create a truly self expressive me. No matter how I feel wearing all of this next Saturday, the quest for incredibly complementary elegance has been its own entertainment. Not to mention the bride's periodic SMS check-ins to see if I have a "modelo" yet.

Reason Two. Despite Reason One, I have yet to head out to the stores a single day this week. It's been rainy. And windy, and cold.

What happened to the Chicagoan who walked anywhere in rain, sleet, snow and 10 below Fahrenheit cold?

You want me to go out in the rain? I live in Spain. It will be sunny some day soon. And that's the day I'll go shopping.


Reason Three.
I'm not sure I can eat without bread.

I caught on to the bread addiction while staying at Oxford in August. I noticed that everyone round the table was eating quite properly, knife and fork in hand, buttered bread patiently waiting on its own little plate. Everyone, that is, except an Italian woman and me. We both had a fork in one hand and a chunk of butterless bread in the other, as we scooped and pushed and spread and soaked our way to satiated bliss.

Two years in Spain have made bread my third utensil. How, exactly, does one pick up food without bread?

I gave up bread a month ago as part of a firm commitment to lose the weight I gained sitting around with a sprained ankle last spring.

And the benefits doubled immediately. Not only do I not eat bread, I'm not eating most of my meals, either.

How can I, without my third utensil?

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • Lol ... good luck.

    You didn't need to provide the photo ... you wrote it.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 1:00 AM  

  • I too have learned to eat with bread, learned from marrying an Italian-bred guy (no pun intended) and from travelling and living in countries where you might not want to trust the other utensils, ie Ethiopia. The bread was much cleaner and much tastier. How could one ever go back to life without?!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:47 PM  

  • hey, you two again!

    Thanks w-w. If the luck's for the staying off the bread, I'm doing it..not quite sure how...(despite the fact that there's peanut butter in the house, which is the really amazing part. My last US visitor brought me 2 jars...

    Donnette, laughed at the bread tasting better than the utensils comments; not sure why, since I can only imagine it's true... There's no going back, says me, just temporary weight adjusting regimens to avoid buying new wardrobes...

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:20 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:35 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home