a wandering woman writes

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Meanwhile, in a Salamanca convenience store

I can't tell you I was born to work alone in my home.

While I covet the convenience of a virtual life, I have discovered I am far from a virtual person. Every so often I get up and wander the neighborhood or toss a few stones off Salamanca's Roman bridge just to remind myself there's a world out there.

This morning's break was a stroll to the neighborhood kiosko for my daily bread and El País. As the owner was making my change, a man dropped off 2007 Semana Santa posters for him to hang in the shop's windows.

We were opening the posters when we heard someone in the doorway. An elderly woman was standing in front of the open door, trying to get the owner's attention. She was greyhaired, with spindly legs leading up to a black coat and a bright pink scarf. She desperately wanted to be heard.

Perdona. ¡Perdona! ¡¡Oye!!

We both looked up. Her next sentence started small, but built its way up to a dramatic Castillian finish.

Luego.... ENTRO.
Later....I'm coming in.

She jabbed her finger in the air like a politician who'd just promised to right every one of the world's wrongs. Satisfied, she marched away.

The store's owner looked up and shrugged.
Cuando quiera.
Whenever she wants.

We went back to the posters.

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • Nothing to get stressed about! That's my ideal kind of life

    By Blogger Cream, at 10:42 AM  

  • now I'm curious... what's up for semana santa in salamanca?
    -------
    I'll certainly miss the enthusiastic waves of the bartenders (Kiko, Paco, Mari, & "la jefa" Estrella) whenever we walk by our local cafe... I mean, where else do you get invited to your local bartender's birthday party??ht

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:47 PM  

  • Happy Birthday !!!

    I hope your evening with your lovely friends was a good one :)

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 10:59 PM  

  • An old drama queen, that`s kinda sweet :) Either that or she was just high.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:02 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:17 PM  

  • Hey Alex, well, I like Semana Santa in Salamanca. A full week of processions, at all hours of the day and night, finishing with a somber taking Christ down from the cross on Good Friday and a festive celebration, charros dancing and all the cofradia together, in P Mayor Easter Sunday.

    Tinkala, welcome! I loved her, very sweet, very feisty, and I could empathize - I'm alone so much now that I work out of my house that(if I didn''t think somebody would blog about me, lol) I wouldn't mind taking two trip to see the store man--once just to tell him I was coming back later - to actually walk in the store.

    Thanks for the comment, Sandra. On my way to write to you now.

    By Blogger Erin, at 6:32 PM  

  • Erin, could you delete my email above with my email address in it please? I'm getting emails from strangers who found my email address here. Thanks.

    Sandra

    By Anonymous Sandra, at 8:55 PM  

  • All set, Sandra! That's awful, by the way! Sorry about that!

    By Blogger Erin, at 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home