a wandering woman writes

Sunday, February 18, 2007

It's a long road to Madrid: Two stuffies and a bump


There's an old joke about New England. Maine to be exact. An crusty old New Englandah answers a tourist's plea for directions like this:

You can't get theayah (there) from heayah (here).

I'm beginning to believe you can't get from Providence to Madrid.

I've been bumped, now that I've checked in for my twice cancelled flight to Philly. On the other hand I have scored a free roundtrip ticket, discovered WIFI and plugged in my laptop, making me a happy thrice-cancelled wanderer.

I vividly remember walking out the back door of this airport and crossing the tarmac to my plane when I'd head back to college after summer and Christmas breaks. Twenty years later I'm spending the afternoon in Gate 6 (6! of 12 or 15!!), ecstatic to find that my hometown airport has added not only departure gates but WIFI. In true Rhode Island tradition (I once misdialed my father's phone number and reached someone who knew both him and his new number, I swear) I spent my first hour at the gate chatting with my very first employers - the former neighbors whose children I babysat until the day I walked across the tarmac to college.

I prepared for the day''s travel with one last taste of the Ocean State: a cup of chowder, a couple of deliciousstuffies and a well placed dash of Tabasco at O'Rourke's, the new pub in the old town where I grew up. There are clams in my belly and peanut butter in my suitcase. I'm ready to go home.

I stumbled across Quahog.org while searching for a stuffie photo. Everything you could want to know about little Rhode Island and then some.

Meet you back here soon, hopefully with tales of morcilla and patatas meneadas....
¡Hasta pronto, Salamanca!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Sigh ... morcilla and patatas meneadas ... or should that be 'drool, morcilla and patatas meneadas'.

    Hey good luck getting home ... it never occured to me that it could go on like this. Sounds like you're doing good though ... and clearly wifi rocks.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 10:50 PM  

  • Hey Di,

    Got back yesterday. Yeh, wifi has definitely taken the sting out of long layovers. I kind of like them now...
    Landed in a brilliantly sunny Madrid and caught a bus to a rainy, grey Salamanca.

    By Blogger Erin, at 11:35 AM  

  • To horribly twist around an old John Lennon lyric, "...travel is what happens while you're busy trying to get somewhere else..."

    By Blogger Yarbz, at 1:10 PM  

  • LOL Yarbz. A great line well twisted. And true, dammit. Very true.

    By Blogger Erin, at 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home