a wandering woman writes

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Change your world and the world changes

...here it is in all its blinking simplicity: Change Your World, and The World Changes. We are not powerless....

This is not the time to throw up our hands, nor to exhaust ourselves over-defining our problems. It is time to choose our lives. In so doing, we’ll have a rippling impact that will make all the difference.

Consider this:

If we are sick of foreign wars, make peace with our personal enemies.

If we are concerned with our nation’s debt, save our own money.

If we are sickened by materialism, buy only what we really value.

If we are concerned with global warming, conserve, walk, telecommute.

If we are worried about the environment, recycle, plant trees, grow something.

If we are angry with our leaders, propose and post real solutions.

If we are worried about health care costs, eat right, exercise, and sleep.

If we are worried about crime, drugs, and violence, participate in a neighborhood watch.

If we are sad about the decline of marriage, make ours the best example of commitment and fulfillment we can.

If we are worried about terrorists, put some boundaries between ourselves and those who use or abuse us.


I hope you can see what I’m trying to get at. .. These are simply reminders that for every big overwhelming problem in the world, there is a version of it in our lives. If we focus on what we can control, our own lives will bloom and our influence will spread.


from a recent blog post by Will Barre, founder of the American Dream Project
found at Motto

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Thanks for finding this. I've swiped it for the HMHC blog...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:40 PM  

  • I've so enjoyed your blog over the last 3 years. I recently visited Salamanca and as I walked the streets I tried to imagine where you lived. In any case, just checked your blog and it reminded me of and old quote supposedly found on a tombstone of an anglican bishop of Westminster:

    "Cuando era joven y mi imaginación no tenía límites, soñaba con cambiar el mundo. Según fui haciéndome mayor, pensé que no había modo de cambiar el mundo, así que me propuse un objetivo más modesto e intenté cambiar solo mi país. Pero con el tiempo me pareció también imposible. Cuando llegué a la vejez, me conformé con intentar cambiar a mi familia, a los más cercanos a mí. Pero tampoco conseguí casi nada. Ahora, en mi lecho de muerte, de repente he comprendido una cosa: Si hubiera empezado por intentar cambiarme a mí mismo, tal vez mi familia habría seguido mi ejemplo y habría cambiado, y con su inspiración y aliento quizá habría sido capaz de cambiar mi país y -quien sabe- tal vez incluso hubiera podido cambiar el mundo."

    You are a gifted writer!

    --El hermano Cristian
    caldodebolas@mac.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:32 PM  

  • All yours, Kate.

    Y hermano Cristian, wow. Thank you. Have you really been reading me for all 3 years? Wow. I needed the gifted writer comment, btw. Muchas gracias. :) I love this quote, where did you find it, do you remember? So this idea isn't new, with this on a tombstone... Hope to see you here again, hermano.

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:01 PM  

  • This is really inspiring, both the post and the illustrious comment. I´m a bit of a refugee from the Left, you know, unions, organization, marxist analysis, charismatic leaders (who end up in sex scandals). But I´ve come to see that one thing is true - you want change, be better yourself. Thanks for a lovely post.

    By Blogger Mo, at 10:56 PM  

  • Thank you, Maureen. It hit me today I wasn't sure I'd come over to say hey - and to thank you for your eyes (reading) and your comment. Thank you! This has been an abandoned place for a while. Thanks for reading and reminding me it's here.

    By Blogger Erin, at 4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home