a wandering woman writes

Friday, July 13, 2007

Secreto, or a wandering woman finally meets Spanish caller ID

I bought a new phone the other day. A phone for the house.

Tired of answering telesales calls during the work day, and equally tired of hearing friends and family from the States complain I never pick up the land line (I don't) despite it being far cheaper for them to call that line, I picked up a phone with caller ID.

All week I've been taking my office chair for high speed spins straight back to the phone to make the ever important decision: to answer or not to answer

A minute ago, my new purchase rang anew. Away to the phone I flew like a flash! (This spinning in the desk chair is a lot of fun, actually.) I squinted at the text screen to see who it was.

My phone said it couldn't tell me.

Seriously, this may be standard for caller ID in Spain but it's a first for me. The phone's ID screen typed out: SECRETO.

Oooh. Secret.

I just received a SECRET call. Intriguing.
It was all I could do not to answer it. I mean, come on. SECRETO. Like you could resist that?

Now if one of you doesn't assure me SECRETO is Telefónica's way of translating a sterile English "UNLISTED", I'm going to spend the rest of my days regretting I didn't pick up that phone.

And hear the secreto.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Every time I have answered the phone with a caller ID of SECRETO, it is some sort of telemarketer. Every time. I say don't answer it; instead allow your imagination to make it something better than the reality!
    ~ CC
    Certain Caesura

    By Blogger Paige, at 8:17 PM  

  • A HA! That was my suspicion. If I were a telemarketer I'd want to dial in as "secreto" just to tempt curious fools like me to pick up the phone.

    Thanks for the comment, CC!

    By Blogger Erin, at 9:42 PM  

  • WEll I don't know about Spain (or the US for that matter) but in the Netherlands and the Netherlands Antilles it is a standard option on cell phones not to display your number on caller ID.
    I used to use it when I first got a cell phone (I was forced to, so don't blame me for giving in :-)) and had to use it for work.

    C

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home