a wandering woman writes

Sunday, July 29, 2007

The urge to be some place

Prats de Mollo, France

"When I was very young and the urge to be some place was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch.

When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age.

In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job.

Nothing has worked. . . In other words, I don't improve, in further words, once a bum always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable."

- John Steinbeck


Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Loved this, lifted it :)

    Gracias.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 11:24 PM  

  • Thankfully the disease IS incurable. The urge to roam keeps our minds alive!

    By Blogger Gardenia, at 1:35 AM  

  • LOL, I suppose you're right, Gardenia. Maybe I just had to make my peace I'll always have the urge to wander. Welcome, by the way!

    By Blogger Erin, at 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home