a wandering woman writes

Monday, April 21, 2008

Life in 6 words

Qaminante doesn't post everyday, but ah, when she does, she delights me.

Today Feedblitz served up breakfast with this gem from my favorite blogger in Brussels:

"I was just reading about a book collecting six-word memoirs, entitled "
Not quite what I was planning". The one I liked best was "Me see world! Me write stories!" (Elizabeth Gilbert, who seems to me to have been on much the same track already with the title of her book "Eat, Pray, Love", about stays in Italy, India and Bali). I also liked "Am I lost or just wandering?"
It seems the inspiration was an ultra-short story by Hemingway: “For sale: baby shoes, never worn.” "

Read an NPR article about the book here.

Qaminante set me to thinking. How might I write my life story in 6 words?

A few drafts are well underway, on this vesper of vacation-time for me...

The first draft is a response to one of the original titles quoted by Qaminante:

I'm not lost, I am wandering...

Or how do you like:

Wandered well. Wondered whether. ..Wrote while...

Alliteration, eh? Suits me. But then again, there's:

But I like what's behind EVERY door.


And this title for me, all 7 delicious words:

Never did play by the rules, much.


Or more likely, a good description of my winding road, so far:

Just one good turn after another.


I'd hope to quote Yogi Berra but he ran long:

When you come to a fork, take it.


So I went back to basics:


Have grin, will travel.



See? I don't need no stinking 6 words.

Hmm... or there's:

For our next act, Erin will...


or

What's next? Well I thought I'd...


And there's this, a blissful response to my fellow salmantinos:

Sí, rubia, guapa y tu niña.



Or let's be realistic:

Ask me later, I'm still living.



No? Ah...

From rat race to pata negra.


True. But so is this:

What d'ya mean, just choose one?

What d'ya mean d'ya is two words? I'm a RhoDylander, people. Let me say the same thing about my life another way:

I'll take one of each please.


or..

Albergue to albergue, just cruising between.


and I like:

Talked fast, ate slow, smiled wide.


I'm sure I'll be working in this for a while. What about you? Got a 6 word memoir, any language?



17 Comments:

  • Not known for speed -- What race?

    Left smalltown, saw brightlights. Still blinking.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:36 AM  

  • Ha, love them both, Mark! Well done.

    By Blogger Erin, at 12:55 PM  

  • Wandering. What does it all mean?

    Of course, the next step is to find four photos that sum it all up!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:44 AM  

  • Mosaic Grows Larger - More Colors Needed

    :) Donnette

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:22 PM  

  • I like the photo challenge,Edi, not sure I have the photo archive to meet it, but cool idea.

    And Donnette so cool to find you here; I just flew back to the States yesterday. Are you here? Owe you an email one day soon... And LOVE your title. That IS your title!

    By Blogger Erin, at 2:55 PM  

  • What a fun post.
    I'll have to think on it. Yours are great!

    By Blogger Rebecca Ramsey, at 3:51 PM  

  • Oh boy! will think, then write.
    Thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:56 AM  

  • She traveled, she sang, she ate.

    Or in four words,

    Cantar, comer, viajar...JODER!

    jajajajajajajaj

    Muaks

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:00 PM  

  • Oh! The 6-word rhythm reminded me of a classical primary school definition of what all living creatures do:

    "nacen, crecen, se reproducen y mueren"

    As for me, I "work hard, play hard, procrastinate hard" as this post makes obvious :P

    By Blogger Cristina , at 12:16 AM  

  • Found your blog because we both listed Pentimento as a favorite book in our profiles. Your blog is an inspiration. I'll have some fun with the 6 word project. What came to mind at first was: Who cries for God? I do.
    I think it's because I saw that question in a daily email meditation some months ago and I just can't get it out of my mind.

    By Blogger Lydia, at 3:18 AM  

  • Your post prompted me to write about my 6-word memoir in my blog last night. Thanks for stirring me up!

    By Blogger Lydia, at 8:06 PM  

  • Hi Lydia! Thanks for the kind words! I wish I could get over here more often; coming to W-W inspires me, most of the time! I am travelling for the next few days but will pop over to your post and link to it as soon as I'm back online!!

    By Blogger Erin, at 3:25 PM  

  • Happy traveling!

    By Blogger Lydia, at 9:30 PM  

  • I just discovered your blog -- I love it!

    I've decided my six words are:

    I look the left in Albuquerque...

    Cheers,
    Caroline

    By Blogger Line, at 11:40 PM  

  • Here's mine:

    Like it here, like it there.

    By Blogger Bluestreak, at 7:25 PM  

  • love this idea.......
    hmmmm maybe i'll blog about it too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 PM  

  • So many variations, so many possibilities :)

    By Blogger Anil P, at 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home