a wandering woman writes

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Daily dose of exercise, and Lorca



Ah, how the graffiti greeting me on my daily walk along Salamanca's riverside bike path continues to inspire.

The other night, walking at sunset, I found myself facing García Lorca.

A spray paint bard has scribbled "Media Luna" from García Lorca's Primeras Canciones across a vacant building, just underneath a rusting door with ragged, broken windows:


Media luna

La luna va por el agua.
¡Cómo está el cielo tranquilo!
Va segando lentamente
el temblor viejo del río
mientras que una rama joven
la toma por espejito.

Federico García Lorca



Because I can't bring myself to post a homemade translation of García Lorca and have yet to locate an English translation of this poem, I'll simply share the image.

Imagine the moon moving across the Tormes, not 50 yards from the graffiti poem. From a still, tranquil sky the moon leaves its reflection on the shivering water (the ripple of the water) and a small branch sees (that reflection as) a tiny mirror.

Just a moment along the Tormes.
Muchísimas gracias, bard of spray paint. I await your next post.

Thanks to an anonymous commenter for correcting a whopper of an error in my original post.

4 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:02 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Erin, at 3:49 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:55 PM  

  • Thanks to Anonymous for pointing the error in my original post - and reminding me why I don't translate poems here. :)

    By Blogger Erin, at 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home