a wandering woman writes

Monday, October 17, 2005

Hugging the coast

My mind's been on water lately.

Boats, rain, open seas, swimming in lakes, riding waves, cool clear drinking water, you name it.

I hadn't quite figured out why.

Yesterday I stumbled onto a quote that got me thinking about my current in-between, and then brought me back to boats again.

Seems a literary critic asked a sculptor if he'd figured out the secret of life during his 80 years on the planet. His answer:

The secret of life is to have a task, something you bring everything to, every minute of the day for your whole life. And the most important thing is: It must be something you cannot possibly do.


~ Henry Moore


Then I ran into this post at Worthwhile (a blog I recommend if you are thinking business thoughts) that puts Moore's quote in familiar nautical terms.

It's all about stretch, the Worthwhile post says. Horizon. Got to leave the old coast behind before you can hope for a glimpse of the new. Got to watch that horizon open up to nothing.

And that's my in-between! Horizon. Nothing but sky.

Thinking about throwing off my own lines soon. Bow, stern, spring lines, you name it. I've been a little scarce around these parts, I know. It's the provisioning, the last minute repairs. Bear with me. I'm sure there'll be good tales of the trip, mermaids, pirates, lost sea birds, and occasionally bored sailors (when the wind dies down) once we get out in open water.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • thanks for your thoughtful note...you´re right, of course. kicking and swimming is what i´m doing, and it isn´t conducive to being swept along. i want to find a wave and let it take me somewhere...now it´s a matter of keeping my eyes open for the right wave to catch.

    i hope you find yours too, and that you continue sharing it with us as elegantly as you have been your current one.

    By Blogger nikkicee, at 8:42 AM  

  • Ciao!
    I found your blog through a blog, of a blog, of a blog, that I read.
    I have enjoyed looking through your blog and look forward to more. As a girl who has always wanted to go to Spain (but hasn't made it there yet), this is the next best thing!
    Cyn

    By Blogger Cynthia Rae, at 3:30 PM  

  • I think you are so brave! There will be a task waiting for you to try.

    By Blogger Nomadita, at 10:17 PM  

  • Water is such a powerful force. You know, water also symbolizes the collective unconscious. Make sure to pack your scuba gear!
    Oh the years I spent staring out at the horizon growing up on Lake Michigan. I'll meet you out there.
    Love,
    L

    By Blogger Laura, at 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home