a wandering woman writes

Thursday, March 16, 2006

A poem for two wandering women

That's me

nose pressed hard against the window glass
breath mist on the window as the train whirs by you

That's me

our heads turn, our eyes meet and I follow you out of sight

That's me

clutching a tattered phrasebook
stashing consonants in unexpected places
a strange new colloquy in words and hands

That's me

harbouring all the places I've walked,
every story I've met pressed flat against my heart

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure I haven't met a kindred spirit today! Another wandering woman, A Wandering Woman Writes about Her World, a Kiwi in Antwerp. Check out her first post, written last July.

It's the title of her blog that blew me away:

"People become stories and stories become understanding."

I can't know how you read your title, fellow w-w, but it gave me the courage to post the poem above, a poem about my first wanderings, the solo trips that made a wanderer out of me. I am eager to read more of your blog!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • Lovely!

    Happy St. Paddy's Day!

    By Blogger Angie, at 12:30 AM  

  • hey there. i loved your poem and on scrolling to post about it i found your message. thank you.
    i am glad i found your blog.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 10:49 AM  

  • Oh I love this poem! Love it! Did I say I love it?

    By Blogger Laura, at 2:53 PM  

  • me, too! :)

    By Blogger Kate Winner, at 6:08 PM  

  • Just blogged you (e-Margonaut Sighting!), your lovely poem and WomanWandering over at Meandering Margaux. I hope you don't mind me passing your poem along to our readers.

    Great site. I've added your feed to my reader, and I'm looking forward to following along on your adventure. Que te vayas bien!

    - George

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 PM  

  • Hey, wasn't the visit from George nice, and he loved your poem! :)

    I really enjoy the e-marginalia site, and posted a link to a good interview they did with a travel writer a while ago.

    I never quite imagined I might get a mention on their site ... anyway, thought I'd say congrats re the poem.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 10:47 PM  

  • Thank you, George and w-w!

    By Blogger Erin, at 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home