a wandering woman writes

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Had a hankering for tortured souls....


Mad goat at Palacio La Salina

Had this hankering for tortured souls, new camera, and build-it-yourself frustration and all. Las Dueñas was closed, so I wandered into La Salina, on Calle San Pablo, a Renaissance gem that's almost always open for free wandering...and caught these beauties. I lose myself in the stone details every time I walk into a place like this.

I can see I'll need the new lens to capture them well, but here's a taste.



I used to wonder what nightmares could have inspired all these tortured stone carvings....but I've figured it out.



Renaissance build-it-yourself cathedral kits.


OK, I'll stop now.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • ¿What nightmares? Easy: Religion.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 AM  

  • jejeje, yeh, I suppose. SOme of the monsters in these "grotesque" style buildings are incredible. The pained expressions! Would you want to go out for a walk in the cloister where the garden is just to be reminded how how bad hell must be? Or did the workmen make these to torture the religious types living inside? (You want a cloister, I'll give you a cloister, monk....you'll feel reaaall relaxed...)

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home