a wandering woman writes

Saturday, March 03, 2007

A sure sign of spring, or: why did the Salmantina cross the road?

After three years, I expect the debate.

Every year right around this time I spot the storks collecting twigs for nest repair. I pack my winter coats away and dance round Salamanca announcing the arrival of spring.

And every year my friends assure me we are nowhere near spring. Nowhere, they hiss, while we stand talking in jean jackets. The other day a neighbor sternly warned me not to jinx the weather for all of us by daring to utter the "s" work (p, primavera, en español) before its time.

Today I gathered my strongest piece of evidence yet.

As I was climbing up toward la Rua, I watched the chica in front of make a sudden sharp left turn, followed by a quick 90 degree right once she'd placed herself firmly in the center of a shaded path. A shaded path, I tell you! I observed a precise, deliberate Spanish move to avoid walking in the sun.

Now everybody knows nothing gives away a tourist in Spain more than walking in the sun during summer or the shade in winter. Multiple street crossings and two point turns are perfectly acceptable; we all do what we must to stay cool or warm.

She sought the shade, I tell you! The shade! I consider the walking paths of my fellow Salmantinos far more reliable indicators of the season than the shadow of some drowsy groundhog in rural Pennsylvania.

A Salmantina sought the shade!

I hereby proclaim the arrival of spring.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • Hi. I loved you blog. I am a student in Virginia,USA and am studying the youth culture of Salamanca. I was wondering if you can help me with it.
    trivedim@vcu.edu
    Thanks!

    By Blogger Mansi Trivedi, at 12:48 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Cream, at 10:40 AM  

  • Mad dogs and Englishmen!
    I still seek the shade even after 31 years in the UK.
    Good habits die hard.

    By Blogger Cream, at 10:41 AM  

  • I seek the light. I proclaim the first day of Spring to be simultaneous with Winter Solstice; the minute the days are longer than the nights, I KNOW it's SPRING!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:20 AM  

  • No reason for good habits to die, says me, cream.

    Like your calculation, as well, Kate!

    Welcome Mansi... let me drop you a line.

    It's Spring, it's Spring, it's Spring...

    By Blogger Erin, at 4:10 PM  

  • I envy you so. I'm in NYC, where spring means 37 degrees today...and 24 and snowing by Tuesday. Guess who left her really heavy coat in Madrid? I was only thinking of the time in Arizona and California and forgot about the stupidity that is a NYC Spring.

    ECHO DE MENOS ESPAÑA!!!

    I'll be back March 19...

    K

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:35 PM  

  • España te echa de menos, también, Kathleen. ¡Seguro! :)

    By March 19th we'll all be dancing in the streets...such a beautiful day here today, and sooo many Spanish tourists. Place was hopping.

    Enjoy the States, say hey to the parents, who have an open invitation to Salamanca pincho tours (I'd happily eat with you 3 any old time) ---and get back to Spain already, will you?

    By Blogger Erin, at 6:56 PM  

  • Spring is here too ... first it was the Magpies building their palace across the way, now it's the milder weather and sunshine ... not a moment too soon, writes the woman living in Belgium.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 9:25 AM  

  • Erin-

    Just beautiful...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home