a wandering woman writes

Thursday, March 15, 2007

A Year in Europe - That's not crazy, is it?

A post by Ben at Notes from Spain led me to A Year in Europe.

I was following the trail of this spectacular photo of Córdoba, hoping to find more just like it. I did. A trip to Andalucía may be the only cure to my reaction to a ayearineurope's flickr account.

A Year in Europe is a blog, a spectacular photo trail and a series of podcasts chronicling the adventures of an American couple who quit their jobs, sold their home, and set off on a year-long wander through Europe.

From Córdoba, ayearineurope's photos took me to Sevilla, to the only place I'll eat breakfast in Seville, Bodega Santa Cruz (tostada con jamón y tomate, or salmorejo...and well worth a stop back in the evening for pinchos), then on to a flamenco performance at Casa de La Memoria.

A small excerpt from Say What?,
the post that started this visual treat of a trip:

We’ve lived fairly safe lives so far, each following a predictable and somewhat unfulfilling career path that has left us both asking, “Is there something more?” And over the past year or so, we’ve had a few significant experiences that have reminded us how short and tenuous life really is. So we’re doing something about it. That’s not crazy, is it?


I secretly hope they plan on passing through Salamanca. Pinchos are on me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • WW, thanks for sharing the trip!
    The excerpt from Say What? is something that really hits the nail on the head. "Is there something more?"

    I have come to many crossroads and preferred to take the beaten track while looking back at the road to somewhere different and wondering "Is there something more?".

    By Blogger Cream, at 10:51 PM  

  • Hello,
    I love Salamanca! I've been there several times, and I do agree that it's a beautiful city.
    I'm looking to move to Spain myself, but whilst I can stay in Spain up to 3 months without a visa, I need to get a job in order to get a residence permit. And of course, most places do not want to apply for a work visa for you.
    I'm originally from Singapore, been living in Belgium for the last 3 years, and currently work freelance as a television producer and English language teacher.
    One question : How did you manage to get a residence permit?
    If you care to reply, my email is ibrisa7@gmail.com
    Thank you so much! Monica

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:44 AM  

  • Ufff ... a reminder about what life should be. Thanks for posting it.

    I just posted a Hans Kemp quote that I thought I might set as a business goal ...

    'I am a nomad at heart. Photography fits that feeling of restlessness for me, enables me to be a nomad, choose my projects, my destinations.'

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 11:35 AM  

  • OOH, Di, love the quote and business me says yes! that's the business motto....skip the goal, jump to the motto, the lifestyle....


    Hmmm, cream I don't read your blog as the beaten track....you sure about that? :) You have an awful lot of fun for the beaten track, man...

    Thanks for the comment, anon, on my way to e-mail.

    By Blogger Erin, at 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home