a wandering woman writes

Friday, November 04, 2005

You know you are in Spain when...

5 Ways I knew I was in Spain during the past 2 weeks

1
As the temperature dropped to 50 degrees, at the lowest, my fellow salmantinos broke out the fur lined gloves, knitted scarves, teary-eyed "¡qué frío!"s and woolen winter coats.

2
Last week's business dinner went to 4 am.

3
I went to the doctor and found open-doored exam rooms, and not a drop of sweet privacy or my oh-so-comfortable American modesty, along with a perfectly on-time doctor, and at least a husband or boyfriend, if not a couple of happily singing toddlers, patiently waiting for every other patient in the sala de espera.

An alarming percentage of Spanish men may not cook, eat or do laundry without their mothers (sorry guys, it's an observation), but accompanying someone to a routine doctor's appointment is downright sweet.

4
I waited 3 full days for the gentleman to whom such tasks are entrusted to change a flourescent lightbulb at work. In the end, I think my American threat to balance myself on a chair (did I mention I'm short?), whip the old one out whole or in pieces, and march down to the ferretería myself for a replacement forced his hand.

5
I discovered there actually was a designated person entrusted with the changing of lightbulbs. It only takes one Spaniard to change a lightbulb, apparently, but it must be the DESIGNATED Spaniard. And it takes a long time.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Oh Erin, LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:20 PM  

  • It takes only one spaniard to change a light bulb, depending on where the spaniard is from. In some places it requieres 4. One standing on a chair and the other three holding the chair while they walk in circles.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:18 PM  

  • jejejeje
    Ok, Alex of Catalunya, what part of Spain would those 4 Spaniards be from?

    (I really do like that visual by the way. Somehow I picture them putting music on while they do it.)

    By Blogger Erin, at 4:03 PM  

  • Lol, they do the same thing here in Greece with the temperature drop. It is in the mid-60s during the day, and I see people going just out on their balconies in their full winter coats.

    Sheesh.

    By Blogger melusina, at 6:06 PM  

  • I agree! Read my version "THE SPANISH according to SOD´S LAW" at Bettyinspain.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Betty, at 11:22 PM  

  • jajaja

    I'm a spaniard and i found quite acurate the comment about the designated spaniard.

    By Blogger yo, at 2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home