a wandering woman writes

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Semana Santa, late....


My fellow wandering woman confessed she knows very little about Spain's Semana Santa celebrations and asked for photos, but I, poor sneezing correspondent that I was last week, didn't snap a single shot. I captured the scene above last year, as the charros entertained the crowd waiting for the Easter Sunday procession to arrive at Plaza Mayor.

I've been waiting for the 2006 Semana Santa photos to surface online, but I'm growing impatient, so here's a site with sights and sounds from Salamanca's Semana Santa, 2005:

This absolutely haunting procession passed by my window while I was reading, Good Friday, por la madrugada.

And
el descendimiento
: the Good Friday service in Patio Chico, when a empty coffin is marched to the Old Cathedral, and Christ is taken down from the cross.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • maybe you find something interesting here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/search/tags:semana%2Csanta%2Cspain/tagmode:all/

    but semana santa is only impressive when seen live, even if you aren't a religious person, the sounds, the smells, the people, etc

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:46 PM  

  • Thank you anon. I'll head over.

    I'm with you, W-W's curiosity started when I wrote about a night reading, at 2 am, to the beat of the drums passing by. And I was telling her.. hmmm..how strangely moving it is to see the things I pass everyday - Zara, the newpaper kiosk, McDonald's, suddenly part of a somber, sacred, moving scene--without seeming out of place.

    It's incredible experienced live, but I was impressed by how well adding the background music on the web site brought some of the same gooseflesh.

    thanks so much for the link!

    By Blogger Erin, at 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home