a wandering woman writes

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

We interrupt your regularly scheduled blog

with a wander.

Salamanca is scurrying around preparing for the premiere events of Semana Santa: police blocking off streets for the night's pasos, women and little boys lining up at the peliquería to look their best for a procession, camera crews guarding their hard-won scaffold perches, Salamantinos buying bread like New Englanders before a snow storm. I almost hate to leave, watching all the excitement. Still, I wander off dark and early tomorrow (530 am!) to Los Ancares Lucenses, to break in my new hiking boots and my new nifty pack.

I'll see you back here Easter Monday.
Enjoy the long weekend, if you have it.

Update, noon Thursday The bad news: My throat is sore, my eyes are wet, my cough is deep and my heart is heavy. I woke up with a cold and for reasons I have yet to completely decipher, I let the group know I'd miss the trip.

The good news, if you like to read my ramblings, is that I now have 4 empty days ahead of me, and am likely to hang around here.

Happy Easter. aaaaaaachoooo!

7 Comments:

  • Good luck and have a great time!

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 10:17 PM  

  • Luck? Why luck, Di? Oh dear god, do you think I need luck?

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:20 PM  

  • It's a kiwi thing ... we say it instead of ummmm ... well we just say it. Of course you don't need luck ... I didn't mean 'good luck' in that raised eyebrow 'what-do-you-think-you-are-doing' kind of way ... it was happy, envious even ...deeply envious actually.

    Don't mess with the ex-catholic girl ... !! I'm guilt-ridden now.

    Go, have a great time, take lots of photos, bring back fabulous stories ... that's what I meant to say really. :)

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 10:31 PM  

  • No, no excatholic girl, don¡t worry. (You´re talking to another ex-catholic girl, btw. :))

    I was joking...because I've been so sternly warned that this club I'm going hiking with is hardcore. But in sailing you always have to finish with the same number of crew you set off with. I'm hoping they do the same...

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:59 PM  

  • Lol ... what a thought!

    I'm sure you made it and you're reading this on your return from a superb time out.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 12:45 PM  

  • Happy Easter to you. Get better soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:38 PM  

  • Sigh ... I'm sorry. Maybe you can curl up with books and music and rest and write for 4 days?

    I have only just organised Fugitive Pieces with packaging ... not in time for your holiday :(

    Get well soon.

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home