a wandering woman writes

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Landfall



When I get to shore I want to take a good look around.
When I get to shore I want to sink my bare feet into the wet sand,
deep,
drill my way down to my ankles and calves
and watch the water rise around the edges of the foot-hole I've made.
When I get to shore I want to remember how it felt to be out here
swimming,
never tiring but never seeing land, just a horizon that goes on forever.
I remember that last piece of land,
sand
before I pushed off, fell asleep and
found myself floating effortlessly out here in the middle.

Preserving life with a jacket I can't see.

When I get to shore I'll stay close to the waves.
One quick tag and I'm gone again.

When I get to shore, I wonder.
Will it be the same shore?



my poem, not my photo...

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • I loved the picture you painted !! :)

    By Blogger Di Mackey, at 8:14 PM  

  • "When I get to shore, I wonder.
    Will it be the same shore?"

    I really like this line because it implies that don't mind landing somewhere else!
    Confident, adventurous, brave...

    By Blogger Cream, at 12:17 AM  

  • I'm behind on following my favorite bloggers, so a couple things --
    - Love your poem!
    - Loved the Elizabeth Bishop poem a couple posts below!
    - Can't wait to hear about your other travels...

    That's all for now... gotta get back to work (on Good Friday, even!) Hope you are feeling better soon. :)

    By Blogger Angie, at 5:19 PM  

  • Thank you, all 3 of you!

    Happy Easter!

    Angie, have the powers that be made a decision about your Spain trip?

    By Blogger Erin, at 9:08 PM  

  • Great poem, and scary!
    Kudos to you for bravery and the willingness to travel shellless.
    (oooh, now that's a cool word)

    By Blogger Kate Winner, at 6:26 PM  

  • Do you have any idea how big my smile is right now?
    FREAKIN' 'UGE my friend.

    By Blogger Laura, at 1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home