a wandering woman writes

Monday, November 07, 2005

I be dancing

Grin.

I dreamt in Spanish last night.

Grin.

Actually I doubt it was the first time, I really do, but you have to understand that until recently I, whose buttoned-down picture appeared not only on my own corporate mahogany desk but deep, deep in Webster's - alongside the word repressed if I recall correctly, I hadn't remembered a single dream in years. I bolted when people started swapping vivid dream stories. "Oops, I think I hear my mother calling."

Then one night maybe a month ago, someone asked me what my dreams were like. So that night I reminded myself - well, and I asked, to be honest, ever so sweetly - excuse me, unconscious? ahem, since they are MY dreams, do you think maybe....just maybe?

My fall from blogging will soon make sense. I don't sleep so much anymore. Keep waking up and scribbling stuff QUICKLY before I lose it.

Be careful what you ask for.

Meanwhile, I have been very worried about my Spanish. I was missing it terribly for a while, craving castellano conversation. I've been thinking way too much in English lately, for a lot of reasons. I'm sure this is a whole post for another day, but my Spanish voice isn't my English voice. They are both me but they just don't express the same things. In either language I am always stopping, word hoarder that I am, to say, ok, so, I don't have a word in THIS language, but in the other, I'd tell you..... (Annoying habit, I know, I know. What do people who speak 5 language DO, exactly? How do they balance five images for everything they ever talk about, no two quite the same? Anybody know?))

Anyway, dreams. Last night I woke, started scribbling frantically and realized a full page and a half later that I was rambling away in Spanish, about a dream in Spanish.

Made my night. She's still in there.

And she speaks beautifully in dreams. Flows easy, rrrrrrs and jjjjjjs and oh, that perfect intonation. She sings like a native Castilian.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Came back to your blog to check out the answer to your puzzle (last post). So what are they looking at, then?

    Languages! I speak a few and can understand and make myself understood in a few more.
    It is funny but when I was learning English I used to say that the day I start thinking in English will be the day I will have got to grips with it. And it is true.
    As for switching languages, the brain has to get into gear. How long will depend on how often the given language is spoken.
    I don't know in what language I dream...

    By Blogger Cream, at 7:10 PM  

  • Living in Madrid forced me to get over my fears of speaking bad Spanish. However, I didn't realize how deep those fears went until I had a dream one night in Spain (after a day when I had really struggled with the language) in which I messed up my Spanish, and EVERYWHERE I went, people were laughing me. The good thing about it was that when I woke up, I realized how silly I was being, and speaking Spanish became a little less dificil every day!

    By Blogger Angie, at 7:28 PM  

  • Well, I find I´m more polite in Spanish, I don´t use as many swear words, but it´s still the same me underneath - words I don´t use in Spanish, I don´t in English either...vale, bueno, sabes; spooky, eh?
    Other spookiness - I´m learning German at the moment in Madrid, from a native German teacher, along with another English student, and I´ve discovered that my German has a slight Spanish accent! Also, when I am searching my brain for a word, Spanish will interfere with my German more than English, even though English is more similar to German...!

    By Blogger Betty, at 11:34 PM  

  • The weird thing is I really do live in Spanish, I work all day in Spanish, I manage people in Spanish, poor things, I have exactly 0 expat friends, but I live alone, I work more than I chat during the weekday, and I unfortunately SPEAK Spanish with my coworkers while I write in English, because, well that´s my job.

    So I was having withdrawal there for a while.

    Betty, I have been warned not to even thing about learning Italian if I want to keep my hardearned Spanish but having German mix with Spanish is a new one! Thanks for the comments, by the way.

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:27 AM  

  • think not thing, obviously.

    Ahem,. It´s early in Spain.

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home